Friday, February 6, 2009

The Writing Thief - Margaret D. McGee

By Margaret D. McGee
Author
Port Townsend, WA

I’ve been a writer ever since I could read, and I’ve been a thief ever since I could write.

In the first grade, I was publicly unmasked as a plagiarist during show and tell when I tried to pass off a story from Highlights magazine as my own.

I learned my lesson, and I’ve never been exposed as a plagiarist since. But as a writer I continue to steal. Steal insights and techniques from other people’s work. Steal bits and pieces of other people’s lives when they bump into mine and strike a spark.

These days, my favorite source for stolen text is the Bible. Fruitful material, strong language, and best of all, nobody’s going to call me a plagiarist for lifting its lines.

In my conference workshops, “Tell the Truth: Finding the Universal Story in Your Story” (Friday, 2:45 – 3:45) and “The Breath of Life: Writing with the Spirit” (Saturday, 4:00 – 5:00 PM) we are going to steal insights and techniques from each other and write what connects with our readers’ hearts.

In “Tell the Truth,” you’ll learn how to use your own vulnerability and unique experiences to show your readers that they are not alone in the world. In “The Breath of Life” we’ll see how using all five senses makes writing come alive.

I’m looking forward to meeting you and writing with you.

Margaret D. McGee, a writer, teacher, and leader of spiritual workshops and retreats, is author of Sacred Attention: A Spiritual Practice for Finding God in the Moment and Stumbling Toward God: A Prodigal’s Return. She is also a contributor to Alive Now, The Living Church, and Episcopal Life. On her Web site IntheCourtyard.com, Margaret shares her further adventures along the spiritual path.

Subscribe to Florida Christian Writers Conference Blog by e-mail

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chime in!