Sunday, February 13, 2011

SONG WRITING AT CONFERENCE by Elaine Creasman


An Invitation To Learn More About Songwriting—At FCWC 2011 
Several years ago at the Florida Christian Writers Conference, there was a songwriting workshop as part of the nightowl sessions. As a beginning songwriter, I attended and received much encouragement. The next year I did the same and felt a bonding with the songwriters who returned from the year before. What a joy it was to share our songs.
Since then I started taking songwriting lessons from Kenn Mann, the worship leader at my church. I’ve been amazed at how much I’ve learned about songwriting from him. And what joy I’ve experienced in the process—like the times I’ve been working on a song the Lord was giving me and started weeping at how wonderful God is and for the privilege of putting that wonder down in a song I can sing back to Him.

With Kenn’s encouragement, I attended Babbie Mason’s Inner Circle songwriting workshop in November 2010 and learned more about being an excellent songwriter. I’ve had demos made of some of my songs and sent them to publishers. So far I haven’t had anything accepted, but I’m waiting to hear back from a publisher on another set of songs I sent recently.

This year my songwriting teacher, Kenn Mann, will teach a two-part songwriting class on Friday, March 4th at 1:30pm and at 2:45pm. Through this class you can learn what makes an excellent song and how to improve songs you’re working on. The class would also be excellent for poets since writing poems and writing songs are closely related.
Kenn has been a worship leader for well over 20 years. He has created and had published four (4) major musicals and over fifty (50) choral anthems by such companies as Word Music, Brentwood-Benson, Clydesdale & Clydesdale, Radiant Music, Spring Hill / Gaither Music, Monarch Music and The Lorenz Corporation.
He presently co-writes music with Spring Hill Music Artist, Babbie Mason (whom Kenn sees as his mentor.) Together they wrote the #1 inspirational song “The Sea of Forgetfulness,” which was recorded by Helen Baylor. Kenn co-wrote “Make us One,” which won the Gospel Music Association’s 1997 Dove Award for Musical of The Year.”

About his walk with God, Kenn says: “He continues to speak to my heart daily revealing to me His plan for my life. I’ve learned too well that accolades fade and fame is always short lived; but God’s anointing and grace are fresh every day. I never want to tire of knowing Him more.”
Kenn and I will also be leading an informal songwriting nightowl session on Friday evening after the general session. You can bring your songs there to have them critiqued. 
If you have any inkling of exploring the world of songwriting or if you already have songs and want to move to the next level, I hope that you will take part in the songwriting offerings at the conference. I look forward to hearing and being blessed by your songs.
Elaine Creasman
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chime in!